EAW's new Digitally Steerable Array, or DSA? Series, represents a radical step forward for small to mid-sized permanent installation applications. In essence, the DSA Series simplifies the KF900/PPST technology that permits digital steering and aiming of an array's output and adapts it to applications where column loudspeakers would typically be specified.
Like a KF900 array, each driver in a DSA Series loudspeaker enjoys its own individual amplification and digital signal processing (DSP). Using EAW's free DSA Pilot software program, users can vary the vertical coverage pattern from 15deg to 120deg as well as aim the coverage 30deg.
Unlike the KF900 system, however, all this power is housed in a compact, column speaker-type enclosure that requires no external amplification or processing. Users only need to connect AC power, audio signal, and network communications Cable
s. DSA Pilot recognizes each loudspeaker connected to the network and allows users to control all of them from a single interface.
This complex, powerful technology has been years in the making, so a review of the engineering goals and design concepts will help the reader better understand the genesis of these amazing loudspeaker systems.
Used Eastern Acoustic Works
Eastern Acoustic Works (EAW) is the global leader in high-performance, professional loudspeaker system design and manufacture. Based in an historic mill complex in Whitinsville, Massachusetts, USA, EAW gives audio professionals a comprehensive tool kit that helps them deliver customized sound reinforcement solutions for venues and events around the world.
- Acoustics is a branch of physics and is the study of sound, mechanical waves in gases, liquids, and solids. A scientist who works in the field of acoustics is an acoustician. The application of acoust. Used . ics in technology is called acoustical engineering. There is often much overlap and interaction between the interests of acousticians and acoustical engineers.
"... acoustics is . Used . characterized by its reliance on combinations of physical principles drawn from other sources; and that the primary task of modern physical acoustics is to effect a fusion of the principles normally adhering t...Incandescent light bulb
- The incandescent light bulb (archaically known as the electric lamp) uses a glowing wire filament heated to white-hot by electrical resistance, to generate light (a process known as thermal radiation . Used . or incandescence). The bulb is the glass enclosure which keeps the filament in a vacuum or low-pressure noble gas, or a halogen gas in the case of quartz-halogen lamps (see below) in order to. Used . prevent oxidisation of the filament at high temperatures. In Australia and South Africa a light bulb is also called a light globe.
Because of its poor efficiency and yellowish color, it is being ...Plasma
- A plasma display panel is a type of flat panel display with many tiny cells located between two panels of glass holding an inert mixture of gases like neon and xenon. The gas is electrically turned in. Used . to a plasma which then excites phosphors that emit light. . Used . ...Scanner
- A common term for a moving mirror stage/concert light. This light in particular is common is clubs, discos and lounges. As opposed to the moving head lights that are more common for theatre, concerts. Used . and stage events. . Used . Advanced Control Network
- A new protocol designed to improve upon on the exisiting known limitations of the DMX512 protocol. It was developed by the ESTA (The Entertainment Services and Technology Association).
T. Used . he Advanced Control Network (ACN) is intended to provide the next generation standard for the distribution of data in lighting control networks.
ACN needs to do much more than just supe. Used . rcede DMX. Ideally, ACN will unify lighting control networking, allowing a single network to carry many different kinds of lighting-related data and to connect equipment from different manufacturers. ACN is no
Used Cabinet Speakers
Speaker cabinets are specially engineered units in which audio equipment such as speakers and their associated hardware are mounted into. These cabinets can be very basic affairs, little more than a wooden case with no additional features other than one port for inputting a sound cable, or they can be incredibly complex cabinets with features ranging from numerous ports and internal baffles to acoustic insulation and composite materials used in their construction.
The main point of housing loud speakers and PA speakers in cabinets is not simply to make them look neat and tidy, although that is one benefit. The cabinet actually provides a useful function in preventing competing sound waves from interacting with each other and distorting the end product. This is because the diaphragm that the speaker driver uses to create the sound we hear generates sound waves both at the front and the rear, and these will be out of sync with each other, thus creating a distortion if not dealt with adequately.
Other side effects include echo and reverberation, as the sound waves would reach the audience at slightly different times as they travel on different paths through the loud speakers towards them.
In addition to minimizing these unwanted side effects, loud speakerâ??s cabinets also help to manage the vibrations which are caused by the driver frame, as well as the buildup of heat that is associated with amplifiers, driver voice coils and other moving components in PA speakers.