EAW's new Digitally Steerable Array, or DSA? Series, represents a radical step forward for small to mid-sized permanent installation applications. In essence, the DSA Series simplifies the KF900/PPST technology that permits digital steering and aiming of an array's output and adapts it to applications where column loudspeakers would typically be specified.
Like a KF900 array, each driver in a DSA Series loudspeaker enjoys its own individual amplification and digital signal processing (DSP). Using EAW's free DSA Pilot software program, users can vary the vertical coverage pattern from 15deg to 120deg as well as aim the coverage 30deg.
Unlike the KF900 system, however, all this power is housed in a compact, column speaker-type enclosure that requires no external amplification or processing. Users only need to connect AC power, audio signal, and network communications Cable
s. DSA Pilot recognizes each loudspeaker connected to the network and allows users to control all of them from a single interface.
This complex, powerful technology has been years in the making, so a review of the engineering goals and design concepts will help the reader better understand the genesis of these amazing loudspeaker systems.
Used Eastern Acoustic Works
Eastern Acoustic Works (EAW) is the global leader in high-performance, professional loudspeaker system design and manufacture. Based in an historic mill complex in Whitinsville, Massachusetts, USA, EAW gives audio professionals a comprehensive tool kit that helps them deliver customized sound reinforcement solutions for venues and events around the world.
- An amp rack is any furniture, fixture, or case where multiple amplifiers are mounted in slots or grooves, generally used in touring systems because they are easy to transport.
. Used . . Used . ...Stage Lighting
- Modern stage lighting is a flexible tool in the production of theatre, dance, opera and other performance arts. Several different types of lighting instruments are used in the pursuit of the various p. Used . rinciples or goals of lighting. . Used . ...Controllers
- A hoist or motor controller is a machine for raising and lowering personnel or gear by means of a cable for the purpose of setting the gear in place on a truss or stage.
. Used . . Used . ...Achromatic
- A lens arrangement designed to decrease chromatic aberration, for example: to set the same focal length for red and blue light at the focal plane. Also, a color having no chroma as in black, white and. Used . grays created by mixing black and white instead of other colors that are made of chromatic pigments.. Used . ...Automated Light
- Automated Lights were originally used in 1972, but the first computer-controlled stage lighting fixtures began to gain widespread acceptance in the concert industry in the early 1980's. As the digital. Used . age progressed, the cost of these fixtures was reduced and they slowly started being used in more 'traditional' theatrical environments. Intelligent fixtures are currently used in almost all. Used . major theatrical productions.
Usually relying on compact arc lamps as a light source, these fixtures generally use stepper motors connected to varying internal devices to manipulate the light bef...
Used Cabinet Speakers
Speaker cabinets are specially engineered units in which audio equipment such as speakers and their associated hardware are mounted into. These cabinets can be very basic affairs, little more than a wooden case with no additional features other than one port for inputting a sound cable, or they can be incredibly complex cabinets with features ranging from numerous ports and internal baffles to acoustic insulation and composite materials used in their construction.
The main point of housing loud speakers and PA speakers in cabinets is not simply to make them look neat and tidy, although that is one benefit. The cabinet actually provides a useful function in preventing competing sound waves from interacting with each other and distorting the end product. This is because the diaphragm that the speaker driver uses to create the sound we hear generates sound waves both at the front and the rear, and these will be out of sync with each other, thus creating a distortion if not dealt with adequately.
Other side effects include echo and reverberation, as the sound waves would reach the audience at slightly different times as they travel on different paths through the loud speakers towards them.
In addition to minimizing these unwanted side effects, loud speakerâ??s cabinets also help to manage the vibrations which are caused by the driver frame, as well as the buildup of heat that is associated with amplifiers, driver voice coils and other moving components in PA speakers.