EAW's new Digitally Steerable Array, or DSA? Series, represents a radical step forward for small to mid-sized permanent installation applications. In essence, the DSA Series simplifies the KF900/PPST technology that permits digital steering and aiming of an array's output and adapts it to applications where column loudspeakers would typically be specified.
Like a KF900 array, each driver in a DSA Series loudspeaker enjoys its own individual amplification and digital signal processing (DSP). Using EAW's free DSA Pilot software program, users can vary the vertical coverage pattern from 15deg to 120deg as well as aim the coverage 30deg.
Unlike the KF900 system, however, all this power is housed in a compact, column speaker-type enclosure that requires no external amplification or processing. Users only need to connect AC power, audio signal, and network communications Cable
s. DSA Pilot recognizes each loudspeaker connected to the network and allows users to control all of them from a single interface.
This complex, powerful technology has been years in the making, so a review of the engineering goals and design concepts will help the reader better understand the genesis of these amazing loudspeaker systems.
Used Eastern Acoustic Works
Eastern Acoustic Works (EAW) is the global leader in high-performance, professional loudspeaker system design and manufacture. Based in an historic mill complex in Whitinsville, Massachusetts, USA, EAW gives audio professionals a comprehensive tool kit that helps them deliver customized sound reinforcement solutions for venues and events around the world.
- A touring system is generally a rack unit designed for easy of mobility, set up and repair to be taken on tour and can include lighting, audio and staging equipment. . Used . . Used . ...Screens
- Highly reflective screen used for projectors to provide a better, clearer surface or an image to be projected on to.. Used . . Used . ...Enhancers
- Enhancers are outboard audio effects used to improve the clarity of the sound.. Used . . Used . ...Zoom Ellipsoidal
- A type of profile spot with two lenses allowing the adjustment of both the size of the beam and whether it is a hard or soft focus. This adjustment of focal length makes for an instrument with many us. Used . es around the stage. The flexibility is also vital when working with gobos. Also known (in the US) as a Zoom Ellipsoidal.. Used . ...XGA
- Extended Graphics Array is a standard computer display introduced in 1990 by IBM. The initial version of XGA built upon IBM's VGA, adding support for two resolutions, 800 × 600 pixels with high color . Used . and 1024 × 768 pixels with a palette of 256 colors. XGA-2 was developed later and with 1024 x 768 pixels with high color, and 1360 x 1024 with 16 colors. However, all XGA modes have an aspe. Used . ct ratio 4:3 rounded to 8 pixels....
Used Cabinet Speakers
Speaker cabinets are specially engineered units in which audio equipment such as speakers and their associated hardware are mounted into. These cabinets can be very basic affairs, little more than a wooden case with no additional features other than one port for inputting a sound cable, or they can be incredibly complex cabinets with features ranging from numerous ports and internal baffles to acoustic insulation and composite materials used in their construction.
The main point of housing loud speakers and PA speakers in cabinets is not simply to make them look neat and tidy, although that is one benefit. The cabinet actually provides a useful function in preventing competing sound waves from interacting with each other and distorting the end product. This is because the diaphragm that the speaker driver uses to create the sound we hear generates sound waves both at the front and the rear, and these will be out of sync with each other, thus creating a distortion if not dealt with adequately.
Other side effects include echo and reverberation, as the sound waves would reach the audience at slightly different times as they travel on different paths through the loud speakers towards them.
In addition to minimizing these unwanted side effects, loud speakerâ??s cabinets also help to manage the vibrations which are caused by the driver frame, as well as the buildup of heat that is associated with amplifiers, driver voice coils and other moving components in PA speakers.